The Assignment Will Be Marked Out Of A Total Of 100 Marks And Forms 30% Of The Total Assessment For The Course. ALL Assignments Will Be Checked For Plagiarism By SafeAssign System Provided By Blackboard Automatically.
Introduction to Data Science
ATMC Semester 3, 2016
Assessment and Submission Details
Marks: 30% of the Total Assessment for the Course
Due Date: 11:59pm Friday, Week 12
Submit your assignment to Blackboard Task 2. Please follow the submission instructions in Blackboard.
The assignment will be marked out of a total of 100 marks and forms 30% of the total assessment for the course. ALL assignments will be checked for plagiarism by SafeAssign system provided by Blackboard automatically.
Refer to your Course Outline or the Course Web Site for a copy of the “Student Misconduct, Plagiarism and Collusion” guidelines.
Assignment submission extensions will only be made using the official Faculty of Arts & Business Guidelines.
Requests for an extension to an assignment MUST be made to the course coordinator prior to the date of submission and requests made on the day of submission or after the submission date will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Cookies Limited is famous for its wide range of delicious cookie products. Currently, it has only one store in the city, with a local transaction management system in its desktop computer. That is, all transaction histories are recorded during the sales.
Inspired by the boom of e-business, the company decided to expand its business online to boost the sale and accessibility. Therefore, it plans to build an online shopping system.
One strategic goal of the company is to convert its business to be customer-centric and datadriven. The company owners are especially interested in the idea of recommendation systems. They has two key requirements for the system:
1. Customers are included into the process of new cookie/flavour design.
2. The system can find and recommend different types of cookies to customers based ontheir profiles and shopping history.
To achieve these requirements, a membership system, which allows users to rate and review cookie products, has to be introduced. It also helps to track the shopping history of each registered member.
You are a new data manager hired by Cookies Limited to help them achieve their strategic goals of customer-centric and data-driven business model. You are required to plan a future proofing data-driven information system to better facilitate the business and improve sales. The design should address the future demands for the growth of data volume and computing capacity.
You have been requested to prepare a report. Your target audience is executive business people, who have extensive business experience but limited ICT knowledge. They would like to be informed as to how new technologies may be beneficial to their business. Please note that standard report structure, including an executive summary, must be adhered to.
The main body of the report should include the following topics.
1. Data Collection and Storage
• Data collection system (what kind of data should be collected and how)
• Storage system (what are the requirements to the storage and how to achieve them)
2. Data in Action
• Consumer-centric product design (what is it and how to do it)
• Recommendation system (what is it and how to do it)
3. Business continuity
• How online business can survive in case of power outage or other disasters?
Note that you are requested to focus on the use of technologies into the proposed plan, but not the discussion of actual system design. The following two tips help prepare a better report:
• Try to explain the technologies in your own words, making them easy to be understood by general audiences.
• Write the technologies in the context of Cookies Limited, making them practical and appealing to the company executives.
Your report should be no less than 1,500 words and it would be best to be no longer than 3,000 words long.
The report MUST be formatted using the following guidelines:
• Paragraph text – 12 point Calibri single line spacing
• Headings – Arial in an appropriate type size
• Margins – 2.5cm on all margins
• Header – Report title
• Footer – page number (including the word “Page”)
• Page numbering – roman numerals (i, ii, iii, iv) up to and including the Table of Contents, restart numbering using conventional numerals (1, 2, 3, 4) from the first page after the Table of Contents.
• Title Page – Must not contain headers or footers. Include your name as the report’s author but DO NOT include any reference to your student ID, course code or course name.
• The report is to be created as a single Microsoft Word document (version 2007, 2010, 2013 or Office 365). No other format is acceptable and doing so will result in the deduction of marks.
The report is to be structured as a formal business report. Refer to the following references for details on report structures:
Summers, J. & Smith, B., 2014, Communication Skills Handbook, 4th Ed, Wiley, Australia.
The report is to include (at least 5) appropriate references and these references should follow the Harvard method of referencing. Note that ALL references should be from journal articles, conference papers, technical papers or a recognized expert in the field. DO NOT use Wikipedia as a reference. The use of unqualified references will result in the deduction of marks.
The completed assignment is to be submitted to Blackboard Task 2 by the due date of 11:59pm Friday, Week 12.
The assignment will be assessed according to the marking sheet which is shown in the last page. Late submission will be penalised according to the policy in the course outline. Please note Saturday and Sunday are included in the count of days late.
Assignment Return and Release of Grades
Assignment grades will be available on the course web site three weeks after the due date. An electronic assignment marking sheet will be available at this time.
Where an assignment is undergoing investigation for alleged plagiarism or collusion the grade for the assignment and the assignment will be withheld until the investigation has concluded.
This assignment will take a number of weeks to complete and will require a good understanding of data science and management for successful completion. It is imperative that students take heed of the following points in relation to doing this assignment:
1. Ensure that you clearly understand the requirements for the assignment – what has to be done and what are the deliverables.
2. If you do not understand any of the assignment requirements – Please ASK the course coordinator or your tutor.
3. Each time you work on any aspect of the assignment reread the assignment requirements to ensure that what is required is clearly understood.
Marking Sheet for ICT110 Assignment 2
Student name: Student ID:
Items Maximum Marks Marks Obtained
Report formatting (font, header and footer, table of content, numbering, referencing) 5
Professional communication (correct spelling, grammar, formal business language used) 5
Executive summary 10
Report introduction 10
Data Collection and Storage 20
Data in Action 30
Business continuity 10
Conclusion and Recommendations 10
Total = 100 0.0