DQ 1 -Crime and Society:
After viewing the video, Crime and Deviance: A Social Inquiry, please address each of the following questions:
- Is crime normal in a society?
- What is the purpose of crime and punishment?
- How much crime is “enough,” and how would this be measured?
- How is crime defined?
- What problems are defined as worthy of social control?
- What is the influence of the media?
DQ 2: This discussion focuses on topics addressed in several chapters of your text – the death penalty and discrimination. Although first discussed in Chapter 2, the death penalty is also discussed in Chapter 4. Rather than thinking in rigid terms about reading assignments, please use your textbook as a resource. After reading the text and watching the video, Injustice for Blacks in Alabama, respond to each of the following questions:
- What do you think best explains high incarceration rates for Blacks compared to their percent of the general population?
- What do you think explains high incarceration rates for Blacks on death row?
- Is institutionalized racism to blame for these disparate rates? Please explain.
- Are genuinely high rates of Black crime to blame? Why or why not?
- What other factors explain the high incarceration rates for Black men?
- How can this problem be solved?
DQ 1- After listening to the interview with Stephen B. Bright, The quality of a legal defense: Does it matter if you’re rich or poor?, please respond to the following:
- How does geographic location play a role in the quality of representation provided by the public defender?
- How does the overburdened public defense system in many areas contribute to issues of wrongful conviction?
- Contrast the legal representation described by Bright to the level of representation available to white-collar, corporate, and environmental crimes.
- This discussion highlights two issues – wrongful conviction and the overburdened public defender system. How can these problems be solved?
DQ 2 – After reading this week’s required text, please respond to the following:
- In your opinion, what have been among the main outcomes of the War on Drugs?
- How close has it come to its original goals of reducing drug use and punishing drug suppliers?
- How has this “war” impacted African-American males?
- How has this “war” impacted immigration policy?
- How will this “war” end?
Week 2 Assignment Final Paper Preparation
To prepare for your Final Paper (due in Week Five), complete the following assignment and submit it to your instructor for feedback. Your paper should include a problem statement, outline, and annotated bibliography.
Problem Statement: Describe the social problem selected for your paper.
Outline: Using the sample below as a guide, provide an outline for your Final Paper. Remember that papers are expected to define a significant problem faced by the justice system, describe the scope and consequences of the problem, and discuss society’s responses to the problem (including public policies and other less formal responses). Your paper should also present a clearly reasoned alternative, supported by scholarly research.
- What is the problem? Be sure to narrow your problem enough to allow a focused examination.
- What are the individual and social implications of this problem? Discussion of implications should be supported by accurate research data.
Click here to order this paper @Superbwriters.com. The Ultimate Custom Paper Writing Service