Assessment 2 Parts A& B Brief
Program Bachelor of Business
Subject code PRN101A/PRL101
Subject name Understanding Public Relations
Assessment title Assessment 2 – Essay Part A and B
Group or individual assessment Individual
Length 2000 words
Learning outcomes addressed
a), c), d), e)
Submission date Week 8 – Part A Essay Draft
Week 12 – Part B Final Essay
Weighting Total 70%
Part A Essay Draft (30%)
Part B Final Essay (40%)
Explain how digital and social media have changed the practice of public relations. Explore how corporate communications, media relations and crisis communication are influenced by new media technologies. Outline how social and digital media can be used for image, reputational purposes.
Discuss how new digital media helps to facilitate two-way communication and analyse how theories of public relations apply. Please refer to contemporary public relations theories to support your answer, using references to literature, current case study examples and academic research.
Note: There are two parts (Draft Essay and Final Essay) to this assessment task. Both parts must be completed in order to fulfill the requirements of this assessment:
Part A: Essay (Draft)
The essay draft must be submitted as a hard copy in class and on the learning portal by the end of Week 8 and should include:
• Context of essay: Digital and social media and public relations
• Purpose of essay: Analyse the influence of digital media on PR
• Outline of essay: Define the key terms of your essay. Explain which PR theories you will discuss based on the academic discourse around social and digital media.
• An overview of your essay
• The essay statement
A main body:
Give an explanation of the impact of the new media on public relations. Discuss the impacts of the new media tactics on corporate communications, media relations and crisis communication. Analyse how digital media can engage audiences and achieve the goals of public relations strategy. Discuss how new media impacts on the image and reputation of organisations using academic references and provide examples using mini case studies. Explore which theories and principles of public relations (at least two) can be applied in the digital media context.
A Reference list:
At least seven (7) academic references (academic journal articles).
List additional resources (news articles, websites) used to complete the academic essay
Please submit the essay draft as a WORD document (NOT .pdf) via the assessments section of the learning portal by 11:55pm on the Sunday evening of WEEK 8 and a hard copy in class.
Part B: Final Essay
Based on the lecturer feedback on your draft complete writing the essay abiding by academic essay structure.
• ESSAY must be 2000 words (+/-) (NOT including Reference & Bibliography).
• Please note this is a formal piece of writing that presents a discussion of both theory and practice of PR
• Support your arguments with academic evidence and specific mini case-study type examples. The essay must contain at least seven (7) relevant academic references.
• Use proper in-text referencing
• Please refer to the ‘Academic Skills’ section of the learning portal for support on how to write an academic essay
• Please submit the final essay in WEEK 11 on the learning portal, with all feedback and changes incorporated.
See marking criteria on next page.
MARKING CRITERIA –Part A: Essay Draft
Ave. Ave. Below Ave. Poor
• Introduces and clearly defines key terms and purpose of essay 10-9
8-7 6-5 4-3 2-0
Structure of essay:
• Logical structure that leads to a conclusion
• Understanding of main ideas as indicated by discussion (principles and theories of public relations)
• Ability to relate how new media is in PR application fields.
• Analyses impact and outcomes
• Development of arguments/ claims supported by evidence
• Present a point of view in a clear and logical way supported by academic evidence 30-26 25-21 20-15 14-11 10-0
• Clear statement that summarises key arguments and answers the essay question 10-9 8-7 6-5 4-3 2-0
• Clear written expression; abides by accepted academic essay structure and presentation
• Layout and presentation 20-17 16-13 12-10 9-5 4-0
• Evidence of critical reading as indicated by the reference to researched material
• Consistent in-text referencing
• Appropriate number (at least 7) and range of references to academically credible material
• Complete and accurate bibliography (in accordance with Think Class academic referencing) 30-26 25-21 20-15 14-11 10-0
Marking Criteria: Essay – Part B: Final Essay
Evidence of critical reading and sufficient research
Not adequate 9-5
Well organised and written, essay flows logically, good grammar and spelling. Follows academic essay structure.
Not adequate 7-3
Use of quality, varied academic sources, referenced appropriately
Not adequate 17-7
Essay question addressed through quality analysis and critical thought.
Not adequate 9-5
Specific and relevant examples used to support analysis
Click here to order this paper @Superbwriters.com. The Ultimate Custom Paper Writing Service